Stop and Scrap Universal Credit
Universal Credit, the chaotic new benefits system, was rolled out in Haringey on 24th October.
Haringey Labour Party is appalled by the impact its introduction has already had across the country.
- Claimants can wait up to 6 weeks or longer for their first payment leading to spiraling debt and rent arrears.
- Two million children are set to be worse off with some losing their entitlement to free school meals.
- It will make women and children experiencing domestic violence more vulnerable as payments go to only one named household member.
- Claimants face a cruel and punitive sanctions regime, depriving them of money for anything from 3 weeks to 3 years.
- Rocketing levels of food bank in areas where Universal Credit has been implemented.
We are campaigning for the roll out of Universal Credit to be immediately stopped and scrapped.
Public Meeting Against Universal Credit
Stop and Scrap Universal Credit Haringey will be holding a public meeting on Thursday 24th January 2019 from 7.30 pm at the Alevi Cultural Centre, 19 Clarendon Road, London, N8 0DD. Please register through Eventbrite by clicking below
Speakers will include:
- Catherine West, MP for Hornsey and Wood Green (chair)
- Miriam Bindman, disability rights activist (DPAC)
- Chris Baugh, Assistant General Secretary, PCS union
- Cllr Zena Brabazon (Cabinet Member for Civic Services, Haringey Council, and co-chair Haringey Fairness Commission)